Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Slipped into old habits

I had the pleasure of a rare lunch with out children. It was great. When I was ready to pick them up after my lunch, they weren't back from theirs. I needed a way to kill some time. I didn't have a book to read (which I should begin keeping with me at all times). So....I went to my old stomping (shopping) grounds. I headed for my favorite thrift shop. I thought, I'll just look around and kill some time.

Well, I started to fill up a cart. I had shirts for Zoe (which she doesn't need), tights for Bryn (which she doesn't need), kid size gardening gloves (don't need), books (can get at the library), and my favorite, two wood puzzles (great classic toy that would last forever, but we don't need).

While I was tooling around in the store rationalizing this, putting that back, etc. It again, was all stuff I don't need. The phone rang. Thankfully it was my mom telling me she was back with the kids. She asked where I was. I thought about making up something else. I decided to tell her the truth. I immediately felt like a failure. I wasn't going to ruin almost 9 months of control on all this stuff. I also want to be an inspiration to my mother. I couldn't let her know I had failed.

I put it all back and headed for the door. I proudly reported to her that I didn't buy anything, but was greatly tempted. It was quite therapeutic really!

I experienced the thrill of the hunt and the high of finding things the girls would love. I spent no money and brought nothing else into my already bulging home! What a happy experience.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Resisting temptation takes real strength. You are in inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for resisting the temptation! You should feel proud of yourself. It seems like you're putting together that sometimes shopping fills a void. That's what I've been learning too.

    I've missed having you comment on my blog- it's been a long time!

    ReplyDelete